Sunrise exists because Jesus Christ forgives sins and transforms lives. He is the hope for our community (Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Citrus Heights, and beyond). He is the hope for our world. He is the hope for you.
Jesus established the church for people to grow together and become more like Him...and that's what it's about. Not being more religious or getting your act together, but learning to love, forgive, heal, and grow through the power of Jesus Christ in your life. Others are experiencing this fullness of life. You can too. We invite you to come experience Him!
Follow Jesus Christ to become, belong and bless
What do we believe?
We uphold these five core beliefs as essential to the Christian faith.
We believe . . . The Bible is God's Word without error.
We believe . . . Jesus Christ is our Lord and only Savior.
We believe . . . God loves people and desires to save them.
We believe . . . Salvation is a gift of God by grace through faith.
We believe . . . Only Jesus Christ can forgive sin and transform our lives.
Sunrise Community Church began as a church plant of the North American Baptist Conference. A group of seven people began to meet for Bible study and in early 1974 Pastor Gene Kern became their pastor with his wife Elenor and their three children. The first church services were held at the Fair Oaks Grange Hall where the fledgling church met until their new facility was completed in December 1975. The purchase of five additional acres and the worship center expansion were accomplished in the 1980’s.
In the spring of 1996 Pastor Gene planted Pleasant Grove Community Church, one of our daughter churches. Our second senior pastor, Rich Sherman and his wife Kathy and their three children, joined the Sunrise family in the fall of 1996. In 2015 Rich passed the baton to Derek Zahnd who currently serves as the Senior Pastor.
Sunrise has a heart for Christ and a heart for people. Through the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, Sunrise Community Church is a place for spiritual healing and health. We also have a heart for missions. Since 1979 Sunrise has planted six daughter churches in the greater Sacramento area and has sent many workers from our own church family who are serving Christ on the mission field at home and around the world.
We are encouraged by what God is doing. We are thankful for how Christ is writing a new chapter in the life of Sunrise as we walk by faith with Him into future change, challenges and opportunities to build our family and accomplish His purposes.
- THE BIBLE - We believe that all sixty-six books of the Bible are verbally inspired by God and without error as originally written. The Bible is God’s Word preserved by God for us today and our only authority for what we believe and how we live. Psalm 19:7-11; Matthew 4:4; 24:25; John 17:17; II Timothy 3:15-17; II Peter 1:20-21
- THE TRINITY - We believe in one God who exists in a unity of three distinct persons, who are coequal and coeternal: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Each person equally possesses all the attributes of Deity and the characteristics of personality. Genesis 1:26; Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; Colossians 2:9
- THE FATHER - We believe that God the Father works out everything according to the purpose of His will and is the Father of all those who trust in Him. As our Father, He presently indwells us, answers our prayers, forgives our sins, chastens us and is the giver of every good and perfect gift. John 14:6, 23; 16:23; Ephesians 1:11; Hebrews 12:5-15; James 1:17; I John 1:9; 3:1-2
- CHRIST - We believe Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh, virgin born and sinless. Christ died for our sins, rose again bodily from the dead, ascended to heaven as our Great High Priest, is the head of the church, indwells all believers and continually prays for us. Matthew 1:20-25; John 1:1-3,14; Romans 8:34; I Corinthians 15:1-6; Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 1:22-23; Hebrews 4:14-16; 7:25
- THE HOLY SPIRIT - We believe that the Holy Spirit is God; that He glorifies Christ, not Himself; that He prays for all believers; that He convicts and regenerates unbelievers; that He baptizes, seals, indwells and gives spiritual gifts to all believers at the moment of salvation; and that He controls, teaches, comforts and guides all obedient Christians. Christians become holy and spiritual as they yield to the Holy Spirit. John 3:1-7, 14:16; 16:1-14; Acts 5:3-4; Romans 8:26-27; I Corinthians 12:11-13; Galatians 3:26-27; Galatians 5:16-25; Ephesians1:13; 5:18-21
- ANGELS - We believe that God created a great number of angels to minister to Himself and to believers. Satan and demons are fallen angels who have rebelled and sinned against God, who are actively working against Christ and believers, and who will be cast into the eternal lake of fire. Isaiah 14:12-17; Ezekiel 28:14-15; Matthew 25:41; Hebrews 1:14; Revelation 20:10
- CREATION AND MAN - We believe that the whole universe, including man, was originally created in six days by a direct act of God and not by evolution. Man was created in the image and likeness of God in order to reflect His character. Genesis 1-2; Exodus 20:11; 31:17 (We believe the Bible allows some latitude in the interpretation of the timing of creation without accepting evolution.)
- SIN - We believe that all men sinned in Adam, inherited a sinful nature, are totally depraved and without ability in themselves to please God. As sinners, all men are enemies of God, children of Satan, under condemnation of death, without excuse and fully responsible for their actions. John 3:18; 6:44; Romans 1:18-23; 3:9-12, 23; 5:10, 12; 6:23; Ephesians 2:1-3
- SALVATION - We believe that God sent a Savior because of His love for every person. Salvation and forgiveness of sin is by grace through faith and not of works. Eternal life is a free gift to everyone who believes and receives Christ Jesus as Lord and Savior. Since salvation encompasses the past, present and future plan of God, the believer is eternally secure in Christ. Every believer is a priest who has direct access to God through prayer. John 3:16; 10:27-30; Romans 8:28-39; 10:9-10; Ephesians 1:3-5; 2:8-9, 18; I Peter 2:9; John 1:12
- CHURCH - We believe that all believers, from the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2 until Christ comes again, are members of the body of Christ. Christ is the head of the church. The local church is an organized group of baptized believers who meet for worship, teaching, fellowship, service and outreach. The church observes two symbolic ordinances: water baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper. Acts 2:41-47; I Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 1:22-23; 4:11-16
- MARRIAGE – We believe that marriage was established by God and is the exclusive, covenantal, lifetime union of one man and one woman. A civil government’s sanction of a union will be recognized as a legitimate marriage by the church only to the extent that it is consistent with the biblical definition of marriage. Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:1-10; Romans 7:1-4; Ephesians 5:18-33
- HUMAN SEXUALITY – We believe that legitimate sexual relations are exercised solely within marriage. Hence, sexual activities outside of marriage including, but not limited to, adultery, premarital sex, homosexuality, pedophilia and incest are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible and the Church. Further, lascivious conduct, transgender behavior, and the creation and/or distribution and/or viewing of pornography are incompatible with the biblical witness. Leviticus 20:10-16; Romans 1:22-32; I Corinthians 6:9-20; I Thessalonians 4:3-8; Hebrews 13: 4-5;
- FUTURE EVENTS - We believe that all believers go home to be with Christ in heaven at the moment of death; that the rapture of the church in the air is imminent; that Jesus Christ is coming again to earth after the seven year tribulation to judge, to rule and to reign in Israel and over all nations for 1,000 years on the earth; that all unbelievers will be resurrected, judged and then cast into the eternal lake of fire; and that ultimately, God will destroy the present heavens and earth and create a new heaven and earth where all believers will live eternally with Jesus Christ. I Corinthians 15:51-58; II Corinthians 5:8; I Thessalonians 1:10; 4:13-5:9; Revelation 3:10; 20:1-21:1 (We believe the Bible allows some latitude in the interpretation of the timing of future events without denying Christ’s coming for the church or His premillennial return to the earth to establish His 1000 year kingdom.)
Church affiliation denomination